Thursday, September 19, 2013

To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory

Dulcie O’Neil is a fairy. And not the type to frolic in gardens. She’s a Regulator—a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world.

When a warlock is murdered and Dulcie was the last person to see him alive, she must uncover the truth before she’s either deported back to the Netherworld, or she becomes the next victim.

Enter Knight Vander, a sinfully attractive investigator sent from the Netherworld to work the case with Dulcie.

Between battling her attraction to her self-appointed partner, keeping a sadomasochistic demon in check, and fending off the advances of a sexy and powerful vampire, Dulcie’s got her hands full.

As the body count increases, Dulcie finds herself battling dark magic, reconnoitering in S&M clubs and suffering the greatest of all betrayals.
~~

Another freebie I picked up from Amazon (ok Kindle app, I like you) To Kill a Warlock turned out to be surprisingly entertaining. I was hoping from the sound of the summary it wouldn't suck but you never know, my urban fantasy meter has been wrong before. Dulcie is strong but not invincible, smart but understands when another person's experience could be helpful - even if she's undecided about whether to trust the information or not.

My biggest peeve would probably be that Knight seems to expect her to be even more awesome than she already is. We all have buttons and even the most seasoned officer is going to have people and situations where they aren't their best. Maybe I'm more forgiving since I'm not in the place where my life depends on someone else's acting ability, but I'd rather Dulcie be a real person with faults than perfectly capable in all things. I'm interested to see if the love triangle set up here is continued in future novels, but as a first book I think Mallory does a good job creating a cast of characters and a world I want to learn more about.

Overall Feeling - B-

Series - 1) To Kill a Warlock 2) A Tale of Two Goblins 3) Great Hexpectations 4) Wuthering Frights 5) Malice In Wonderland 6) For Whom The Spell Tolls