Saturday, October 30, 2010

Eternal Hunger by Laura Wright

FEAR IS IN THE BLOOD
Alexander Roman wants nothing to do with the controlling rulers of his vampire breed or the family he escaped from a hundred years ago. But as a new threat to the pureblood vampires emerges, Alexander's ties to the past are forced upon him again, and without warning, he finds himself - disoriented, terrified, and near death - at the door of a stranger.

TRUST IS A RISK
Dr. Sarah Donohue is dedicated to removing the traumatic memories of her patients - like those of the stranger at her front door. But what he tells her of his past is too astonishing to be anything more than the delusion of a madman. Yet she has seen his flesh scarred by the sun and witnessed his inhuman strength. And never more has she felt so connected to a man, by both fear and seductive excitement.
~~

**I requested this title for review from LibraryThing**

I feel like this is somewhat of a mediocre addition to an already overflowing genre. Vampire paranormal romance is still hot and new ones are being published all the time. Unfortunately not all of them are quite up to snuff and I think this series definitely needs some work. 

First of all let me say that yes Sarah Donohue does find Alexander on her front stoop, but it's not quite like the cover implies- she doesn't immediately jump into trying to help him get past some traumatic memories. He's fully (ish) in control of who and what he is; he's just more than a little confused over why it's all going down about 100 years too early. There's some back and forth between them, threats of future forced changes for his brothers by the semi-evil 'Powers that Be' and what generally turns out to be a not so bad plot. 

The problem is that this is a plot I've seen before. A lot. There's nothing really new or unique about this book. Wright's characters are fine but not amazing, and at the moment I feel like there's so much set up in anticipation of the next book that I don't even have to read it to know what's going to happen. I'm not saying that Eternal Hunger is bad - it's not. I thought Sarah and Alex coming together had nice tension and while you knew how things were going to end, it's a romance after all, their relationship was convincing. I don't have a problem with him not realizing that she's his destined mate until the end (I guess I've read about too many other bone-headed males) and the brothers were fun characters to start getting to know. But if I were seriously committed to getting my money's worth I'd probably keep it moving and check this one out from the library.

Overall Feeling - Eh. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.

Series - 1) Eternal Hunger 2) Eternal Kiss (April 2011)