Friday, November 19, 2010

Harvest Hunting by Yasmine Galenorn

We're the D'Artigo sisters: sexy, savvy operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But being half-human, half-Fae means our supernatural talents can go haywire at any time. My sister Camille is a wicked good witch whose life recently took a drastic turn. Menolly's a vampire who's still getting the hang of being undead. And me? I'm Delilah, a werecat with a very interesting love life. But life isn't all fun and games. We're on the trail of the demon general who has decided that we've become quite a nuisance...

It's Samhain, and the Autumn Lord, has called for my training to begin with the Death Maidens...and I find that I like it. But we've got problems: werewolves are going missing and a new magical drug, "Wolf Briar," is being used as a weapon. My dear Chase and I have come to a delicate crossroads and there's no turning back from our decision. And most dangerous of all: Stacia Bonecrusher has put a bounty on our heads. Now it's a race to take out the demon general before she realizes the sixth Spirit Seal is within her reach...
~~

I think I'm going to have to call it and say this series is on its way for me. In the beginning I really enjoyed it, and I don't know if I'm letting my feelings from Night Myst taint things, but I just didn't enjoy this book as much. It's a weird feeling though because I can't say the series has changed in any kind of negative way. The action's still pretty good and the sexually charged vibe that most of the relationships have are still there, it's more like the way I'm responding too it all as changed. It's why I hesitate to give this book a full thumbs down; I still see all the good things that initially drew me to the series, but they're not making me happy any more. It's awkward all around let me tell you.

This is another Delilah book and readers are treated to a deeper look into the kind of life she'll lead as  Death Maiden. That of course has to be done while trying to destroy Stacia Bonecrusher AND find the Spirit Seal. Truthfully though I found myself distracted by some whining. Chase has been a pseudo-jerk from the beginning. Oh I'm sorry he's having a hard time with this whole (MINOR SPOILER) 'almost immortal' thing, but why should I care? For the first 1/3 almost half of the book Delilah's is chasing after Chase (ugh) trying to get him not to break up with her or making sure that he wants to break up at all. Not impressed I must say, not impressed.

I did like the new love interest they introduced for her near the end, but it didn't make things all the way better in the end. I'm kind of on the fence regarding the Autumn Lord and how much of a good thing his presence (read: Master) in her life really is....

I'm just eh ok? Eh about the whole thing. I'm sorry if this review turned into more of a rant than anything else, but hopefully someone found it helpful, LOL.

Overall Feeling - eh.

Series -  ....7) Bone Magic 8) Harvest Hunting 9) Blood Wyne (not yet published) (find the full list on Galenorn's website)