Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Covenant by Evangeline Anderson

Kaitlyn Richards is a witch with powers beyond the norm. Her unique abilities make her one of the few people in the state of Florida qualified to be an S.E., or Supernatural Enforcer. As part of her duties she uses her home as a magical holding cell for creatures too strong to be contained in normal human jails.

Holden Sumner is a three-hundred-year-old vampire on a mission—he’s been stalking a serial-killing demon for centuries and he needs Kaitlyn’s help to kill it. The problem is, she won’t give him the time of night. But Sumner is determined to get under her skin.

Though Kaitlyn is reluctant to get involved with a vampire, she agrees to help Sumner search for the killer. But in order to drive the demon back to hell and stop the slaughter of innocents, she will have to bind herself more tightly than she ever thought possible to a man she doesn’t want to love.

She and Sumner must form a blood covenant…or die trying.
~~

OMG an ebook! I feel like I haven't read any of these in forever - or at least, not  a new one anyway. I picked this up to be a quick read on my bus ride to NY and for the most part I feel like it performed its role quite admirably.

The story starts with Sumner getting Kaitlyn's attention by killing what appears to be a normal homeless man - on camera. When he looked up and winked, knowingly doing more to get Katilyn's goat, I figured that this was going to be a good banter book. And it is - they go back and forth, negotiating not only their feelings for each other but what Kaitlyn is willing to do to banish an evil that's attacking her coven. Still, what makes me give this a lower grade is a couple things: first I thought the HEA was rushed, because so much time had been spent on bad guy buildup and sexy times (not that the sexy times weren't well done, they were). Suddenly we're into her admitting her love for Sumner when she's spent 90% of the book saying she has 'feelings' but that's it. Second the bad guy was totally obvious. I don't want to spoil anything, but I would probably have preferred a random than the person who was eventually revealed - just too obvious for me. 

All in all it's a fine addition to the paranormal romance genre, and Anderson is one of my regulars for ebooks - her heroes tend to be the kind of humorous alpha males I enjoy.

Overall Feeling - B-

Series - None