Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dark Storm by Christine Feehan

Awakening after all this time in a world of absolute darkness and oppressive heat, Dax wonders in how many ways the world above must have changed. But it is how he has changed that fills him with dread and loathing. Buried alive for hundreds of years in a volcano in South America, Dax fears that he has become the full-fledged abomination that every Carpathian male fears, a victim of the insidious evil that has crept relentlessly into his mind and body over the centuries.

But there are some things that never change.

His name is Mitro, the vampire Dax had hunted all these long centuries. Once at the side of the prince of the Carpathian people he is the epitome of everything malevolent, and perpetrator of one of the most shocking killing sprees known to man -- and beast. Even his friends and family weren't safe from Mitro's bloodlust. Neither was Mitro's lifemate, Arabejila, an extraordinary woman with extraordinary gifts.

But now that Dax has re-emerged, so too has Mitro. The ultimate battle between good and evil has been re-engaged. Between Dax and Mitro, a violent game has begun -- one that has marked Riley Parker, the last descendent of Arabejila, as the reward.
~~

Christine Feehan totally had me for the first 50% off this book. Nice set up, interesting characters, an enjoyable reintroduction of people from previous books - all good. I can't even say that Dax annoyed me! Especially in comparison to Dark Predator he was almost a modern alpha hero! Seemingly willing to listen to Riley's opinions, respect her abilities, etc. I'm telling you, it made me think we were getting back on track with this whole series. But then it happened.

Then we hit the sex organ flower. 

Where is Feehan's editor? Why does anyone let her keep writing these rituals?! I just can't you guys, I can't read about this pseudo-sex act licking of the flower parts while the hero and heroine say stupid poetry to each other. Maybe Feehan didn't know exactly where she wanted to go next in regards to the Carpathians problems with reproduction but this was not a good direction in my opinion. Sigh. 

After that low point the book was ok, lots of Mary Sue-ing on the part of Riley but nothing too annoying though I would say the final battle with Mitro was underwhelming. Ultimately I'm glad I got this from the library and before I start committing my money to new books in the future I'll have to read some reviews - possibly a lot of reviews.

Overall Feeling - C-

Series - ....21) Dark Peril 22) Dark Predator 23) Dark Storm