Thursday, April 18, 2013

Kitty Rocks the House by Carrie Vaughn

On the heels of Kitty’s return from London, a new werewolf shows up in Denver, one who threatens to split the pack by challenging Kitty’s authority at every turn. The timing could not be worse; Kitty needs all the allies she can muster to go against the ancient vampire, Roman, if she’s to have any hope of defeating his Long Game. But there’s more to this intruder than there seems, and Kitty must uncover the truth, fast. Meanwhile, Cormac pursues an unknown entity wreaking havoc across Denver; and a vampire from the Order of St. Lazaurus tempts Rick with the means to transform his life forever.
~~

I read this book and enjoyed it, but it took me a little while to figure out why I didn't enjoy it more: series fatigue. There have been 11 books so far in Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series (and another out due in July I think?) but it just doesn't feel like all that much is happening during each individual story. Kitty and Ben are happily mated, Cormac is still kind of there as the cousin who's kinda-but-maybe-not possessed, and the Long Game is really the long game so there aren't any super big battles to be fought.

The series hasn't lot me yet but I'm going to be looking at this next book as a deciding factor in whether I keep reading. I need something to happen or these characters to make me feel like there's still growth personally or I'm not sure I can remain as committed as I have been (which is sad to say about I series I used to love!).

Overall Feeling - B-

Series - ... 9) Kitty's Big Trouble 10) Kitty Steals the Show 11) Kitty Rocks the House