Friday, May 31, 2013

Armchair BEA: Blog Development

From Armchair Bea....

"The purpose of the conference is to foster "blogger development"--and clearly, that development can go in a variety of directions! Today, we're inviting you to talk about your approach. Have you branched out into your community? Do you partner with other bloggers? Have you gone "pro" or tried generating some income through your blog? If you're a long-term blogger, how has your online personality developed over the years?"

Shamefully enough I'd have to say the thing I'm worst at is blog development. I started Reading Amidst the Chaos waay back in 2007 as an evolution to a very small idea: connecting my friends with the books I was reading and recommending those that I thought they'd enjoy too. It started simple but I let it linger for a year or so, and when I came back to it I was a total n00b with no idea what I was doing.

I had to kind of learn, by seeing and reading what other people were doing, what format was going to work for me. What kind of reviews I wanted to write and which ones I thought I could consistently provide. It's an ever changing process I think, and while I'm happy with the look of things at the moment anything could happen. 

Still, even if things haven't changed all that much around here, I've found that much more to follow out THERE. I don't always comment, but there are some incredible bloggers out there and Tweeting with them, asking questions, just dropping in to see what's up has been great. I kind of think of myself as this little blog over here in the corner of the great big book blog-o-sphere, especially it's not pro and I'm not expecting that to change anytime soon, but I can still contribute and be as active a part of the community as I want to be. 

Over time I've added a Facebook and a Twitter, other ways in which I can communicate with people, and for right now I think that's a enough. I've considered starting a little personal fund, for design overhauls of RAtChaos and Good Red Herring, but I think the first step would probably be to buy the dot com's right, lol? I don't wanna get ahead of myself here!