Tuesday, June 4, 2013

7 Books

Checking in with the blog-o-sphere this morning I was immediately taken in by The Book Vixen's "7 Books" post. Her rules:

"Don't take too long to think about it. Seven books you've read that will always stick with you. First seven you can recall in no more than 15 minutes."

A great premise no? I'm glad I got 15 minutes because once I got down to the last two spots it was a little harder to decide ;). 


Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce - I'm pretty sure I picked this off the shelf of my local library by random when I was little, but wow am I SO THANKFUL I did. Tamora Pierce and her books kind of defined me as a young person and today I still look to her for fantastic stories with great heroines and adventure.





The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley - What do I say about Robin McKinley? Besides awesome, obviously. McKinely's works are a little darker thematically when compared to Pierce but she also writes strong resilient heroines who often have to work against cultural norms to find themselves. The Hero and the Crown is a two parter with The Blue Sword (which is ALSO a great read) and together the two of them hold well loved spots on my shelves. 




Secret Vampire by L.J. Smith - It's a battle between L.J. Smith and Christopher Pike, but as my entry to to PNR I'd really have to give it Secret Vampire. The Night World is a great series (even if it wasn't ever completed) but Poppy and Jame's battle to stay together while also fighting her deadly illness was the first and probably my favorite (Soulmate is good too).



 
Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey - And we're back to my fantasy roots! I followed Anne McCaffrey from fantasy to sci-fi and back again with absolutely no complaints because her books are filled with interesting characters, complicated but entertaining plot lines, and DRAGONS. 


 
Tiger, Tiger by Robyn Donald - My first 'adult' romance, picked up in the aisles of K-Mart during a grocery trip with my mom. I'll never forget how at the end she asked me if we really needed to buy it since I was 90% done by the time we got to the check out line but yes, it was that important and I still haven't gotten rid of it. (I also re-read it from time to time because except for the threat to their romance being possible incest, it's a very good book.)



 
MacGregor Brides by Nora Roberts - This title had to go on here because it was my very first Nora Roberts book! I can't imagine my shelves without them, or what romance I'd be reading without her tutelage. It's a great book and a great family of stories - don't miss any of them! 





Dark Prince by Christine Feehan - I wasn't sure whether to put Christine Feehan here or Laurell K Hamilton, but I think even before Guilty Pleasures, for me there was Dark Prince. The soulful dramatic tale of the doomed Prince Mikhail and the human psychic Raven who will be his salvation. It sounds ridiculous but I love this book still because even as the series starts to meander and stagnate, this first book - and many of the ones right at the beginning - were unique and had alpha heroes we readers could be proud of. 




And that's all she wrote folks! Do you have a book, or seven, that will always stick with you? Let me know in the comments!