Monday, August 31, 2009

Greywalker by Kat Richards

Recovering from a near-fatal accident, Seattle Private Investigator Harper Blaine develops the ability to move through the Grey: the realm of ghosts, vampires, witches, and magic that exists between our world and the next. Harper wants her life to return to normal, but when her clients turn out to be paranormal, the reluctant Greywalker is drawn into the affairs of ambitious vampires and angry ghosts. As her cases converge, Harper uncovers a plot that threatens Seattle's Grey world and must choose between honor and survival.

I actually finished this book quite a while ago but I realized that I'd never done a review on it and it deserved at least little place on my blog. I shied away from this title initially because A) I was a little worried about all the new authors in the Urban Fantasy genre and whether this one would be worth my time and B) as a Trade Paper I wasn't sure I was willing to spend that money on a non-proven entity. Luckily I was able to distract myself until the mass market came out and now I can sure my thoughts with the world! I found the book surprisingly good and something that while not panting over, made me feel like I would enjoy the rest of the series - though possibly as library reads. Harper is a heroine reminiscent of an early Anita Blake, with the strength to do damage but maybe not the experience to handle herself in all the new paranormal arenas that she's discovered. Still, an interesting book and a good example of how new authors can surprise you by bringing enough of a twist to an established genre to keep you hanging around.

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up, but possibly more of a library read. Definitely not worth the Trade Paper price - Sorry Richardson!

Series - 1) Greywalker 2) Poltergeist 3) Underground 4) Vanished