Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman

Las Vegas bar owner Trixa Iktomi deals in information. And in a city where unholy creatures roam the neon night, information can mean life or death.

Not that she has anything personal against demons. They can be sexy as hell, and they’re great for getting the latest gossip. But they also steal human souls and thrive on chaos. So occasionally Trixa and her friends have to teach them some manners.

When Trixa learns of a powerful artifact known as the Light of Life, she knows she’s hit the jackpot. Both sides – angel and demon – would give anything for it. But first she has to find it. And as Heaven and Hell ready for an apocalyptic throwdown, Trixa must decide where her true loyalty lies – and what she’s ready to fight for.

Because in her world, if you line up on the wrong side, you pay with more than your life…


Is it bad that I wasn't really surprised to find out that Rob Thurman is a girl? I think it was both something about the way she rights and then also the complete and total lack of information in the back of all the rest of her books that clued me in. Because if she wasn't hiding anything, why wouldn't say a bit more of herself? Whatever, it doesn't make a difference of the quality of her books, I just thought that was an interesting tidbit to share.

Trick of the Light is the first book in Thurman's new series, focusing on a totally new set of characters (mostly) in what seems to be the same world as her Cal Leandros series. I say mostly because one of the supporting characters from the Cal Leandros books makes a cameo in this one, and since the rest of the it does seem to corroborate the same contemporary urban feel, it makes me conclude that the environments are the same. I first have to say that while it was hard for me to let Cal and Niko go, I'm excited the Trixa, Zeke, Griffin & Co might have enough to pull it all together and not make me miss them too much. I wasn't really impressed with the hop scotch approach to finding all the clues to the lead Trixa to the artifact, but I did like the character introductions and explanations along the way. Yes it was a little slow and some things were predictable, but the relationship between Zeke and Griffin is very unique, with each of their pasts playing into their present. BUT let me tell you the most surprising thing - the ending. Where Thurman ends up with this book and what is revealed was very unexpected and I think she does a great job of keeping the curtain closed until the very last scene. I expect good things from the rest of her books, so keep 'em coming!

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up. A good beginning to what will hopefully turn out to be another fun series.

Series - 1) Trick of the Light