Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How I Keep Track aka Why I'm a Huge Nerd

So I've decided to reveal a deep dark secret - I'm a complete nerd when it comes to books (and some select other things). It used to just be the fact that when I was younger I tried to catalog all my books. Created my own little spreadsheet that had the title, author, if a book was part of series, and so on. But then as I grew older the symptoms of my nerd-ity grew worse. The more I worked in libraries the more OCD I became - I couldn't just catalog my books; they needed to be shelved in such a way that made sense. Everything had to be in alphabetical order by author's last name and within an author, in order by series. And then came Google Calendar.

I had tried many different ways to organize my lists of what books were coming out when. Amazon Wishlists, about a zillion different kinds of notebooks, even post-it notes around my computer screen. Finally last year about this time I gave in to complete absurdity and created something that does the job better than all of those combined - a Google Calendar that shows me the release date, book title, and author of everything I'm interested in. Oh god! I said it! Yes I'm
that nerdy. I have a Google Calendar just for book releases (in fact, that's the the calendar's title: Book Releases)! As much as I'm in awe of my own ridiculousness every time I look at my full monthly calendar and see all those green reminders, I can't be all that regretful. IT JUST WORKS SO WELL! I can go months, years if the date is available, ahead of time and input the books I'm looking at purchasing. Of course this has now led to days where I spend a good chunk of time just browsing through author pages to see if I can update my calendar further....yeah there's really no end in site for how bad this can get. Hahaha!

Either way I hope this helps you learn a little bit more about me and the neuroses that make me who I am today. My calendar is public and you should be able to search for it if you're interested in keeping up with what I'm reading, but feel free to email me if you want a personal invite!