Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Alien Proliferation by Gini Koch

Alien Super-Being Exterminator Kitty Katt is expecting her first baby. But the alien attacks are getting more dangerous, and now Kitty and her* Alpha Centaurion husband, Jeff, have to find out who’s behind the conspiracy to kill Kitty’s secret agent mom and what caused Kitty’s transformation into a superhuman-and they’ve got to do it all before the baby shower…
~~

If you haven't heard about the Alien series by Gini Koch already then you've probably been living under a rock. And if you're living under a rock not only are you probably HELLA pale, I'm not sure there's anything I can do to accurately explain the place these books hold in the genre of romance, existing as they do at the intersection of sci-fi and romance. Instead we'll just go with the easy route ok? I'm sure you can handle it.

Alien Proliferation is a fantastic addition to the series because it shows unequivocally how all the other TV series I loved in my youth got it wrong - just because you have a child it doesn't mean you stop kicking ass. In Angel Connor was kidnapped to a hell dimension to get him away, on Xena, she and Gabrielle got locked in ice for 10 years, on Charmed all of a sudden everybody was obsessed with protecting Wyatt and got all maternal...it just goes on and on. Kitty and Jeff on the other hand aren't willing or being forced to hand their responsibilities over to anyone else. They can change diapers and protect the world just fine, thank you.

For my fellow romance lovers we all see some developments for Christopher! Happy Dance! Without going into spoilers I'll just say that all is not well in Christopher-land but with the help of some of Kitty's usually blunt and in your face advice things turn out ok. I mean, I'm still off in la-la land somewhere where I kind of wish this was an erotica so Kitty could just marry them both - BUT - I'm working on letting it go ok? I'm trying. Sheesh. 

I love this series and I can't wait for April 2012.

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - 1) Touched by an Alien 2) Alien Tango 3) Alien in the Family 4) Alien Proliferation 5) Alien Diplomacy (April 2012)

PS - Know what goes right along with this? The Men in Black III trailer! I'm as surprised as anyone when I say that I think this actually looks good and I kind of want to see it.