Friday, August 17, 2012

Stygian's Honor by Lora Leigh

Window Rock, Arizona, is the last known location of Honor Roberts, who vanished when she was just thirteen. It was her only sanctuary from the Breed research that would surely have ended in her death—one such insidious experiment should, indeed, have killed her. That she lived is both a miracle—and a great mystery.

Stygian’s mission is to find Honor Roberts, no matter the cost. Now, with the help of Liza Johnson, assistant to the chief of the Navajo Nation, he is closer than ever to his goal. But will the discovery of Honor Roberts mean the destruction of the mating heat that has developed between Stygian and Liza?
~~

Generally speaking:

*What worked for me: Liza and Stygian. There was more buildup to them becoming full blown mates and I liked the way it made their relationship a bit more believable.

*What didn't work for me: The non-mystery mystery. People who've been reading this series from the beginning aren't dumb and Leigh was a bit heavy handed with the hints. Also, Jonas being a butthead and the slowest moving plot line in the history of the world. Seriously. I need something to happen pronto.

After reading a few reviews (and learning that Navarro's Promise was published missing an entire chapter, sheesh) I went into Stygian's Honor a little worried. I like this series but even I have to admit that there's only so long that scorching hot sex is gonna hold my attention. I can't be left hanging here much longer because truthfully I'm getting bored. Someone either needs to die/be cured, because I'm not sure if I can keep buying these things if nothing happens. This isn't a stand alone book or an just an erotic romance - it's a series with a overarching plot that's going in a very particular direction. Let's get it going! 

What saved this book for me was Liza and Stygian. Because she kind of knew once her feelings for him kicked in how things were gonna go, she never let him rest on his laurels. She repeatedly called him out and made him treat her like an equal. While I didn't love how Stygian seemed to be a little too understanding of Jonas and his butthead-ness, all in all I was happy with their relationship.

Overall Feeling - C

Series - ...   25) Navarro's Promise 26) Lawe's Justice 27) Stygian's Honor