Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wicked Beat by Olivia Cunning

Olivia Cunning delivers the perfect blend of steamy sex, heartwarming romance, and a wicked sense of humor in her wildly popular erotic romance series, The Sinners on Tour. Wicked Beat, fifth in this racy rock 'n' roll series, is the hottest yet.

From the moment he lays eyes on Sinners' new soundboard operator, drummer Eric Sticks is completely smitten. Rebekah Blake loves the uninhibited fun she's having and thrives on Eric's daring in the bedroom, but she's got good reasons for not committing. Through role play, voyeuristic games, and lots of sex talk, this pair of kinky lovers must overcome their inner demons to have the perfect relationship they both secretly desire.

~~

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Olivia Cunning is probably not for me. I really liked the premise of this story, and combined with all the good things I'd heard about this series in the blogosphere, I figured it'd be a slam dunk for sexy fun times with a HEA. Unfortunately I couldn't find it in me to really connect to either of these characters. 

I'll try not to be spoilery, but Rebekah's focus on whether she was 'broken' or 'weird' came off as too whiney for me most of them and her initial antics with both Trey and Eric seemed destined for hurt feelings. The two find their way back to each other with some pretty hot help from Trey but then things just kept going - and going, and coming, and going until I just didn't understand why the story wasn't finished. I also felt like a couple of the most important supporting characters, Issac (Reb's ex-boyrfriend) and Rebekah's mom, weren't fully fleshed out as individuals nor their actions adequately addressed by the people they harmed.

I think for someone who's looking for a story where the bedroom antics come first and the rest of the story second, then this book would work for you, but personally it's not my style. 

Overall Feeling - C-

Series - 1) Backstage Pass 2) Rock Hard 3) Hot Ticket 4) Wicked Beat 5) Double Time

*Title requested from NetGalley*