Monday, December 27, 2010

Hungry for You by Lynsay Sands

This vampire has been alone for far too long . . .

As one of the most ancient in the Argeneau clan, Cale Valens has given up on finding a life mate. His friends and family, however, have not. In fact, they believe they've finally found his perfect match. Getting them together, however, requires one little white lie . . .

Alexandra Willan is in a panic. Her restaurant is due to open in two weeks, but her chef just walked out. Then a highly recommended replacement arrives, an impossibly handsome culinary genius who sends electric tingles racing through her body . . .

Except he can't cook. In fact, Cale hasn't eaten real food in two thousand years. Yet he's determined to prove to Alex his prowess in the kitchen . . . and elsewhere. Because never has he hungered so for any mortal woman. And not just for a taste of her, but for the whole delicious feast! 
~~
**I requested this title to review from NetGalley**

This book definitely had some ups and downs for me. I'm not ashamed to say that I usually really like the 'fated to be' and 'from the moment I saw you I knew' romances. When done right they're usually a great mix of romance and heat, which is just how I like my books. The problem with this one is that while the relationship itself I liked because of the Alex and Cale, the supporting characters really irked me. 

The little turn of having Cale work in Alex's restaurant worked. There was just enough subterfuge to get him in, but quickly enough things were turned around so that Cale was doing what he was actually good at and Alex was doing what she loved. Plus their relationship evolved I think somewhat realistically with Alex being stand off-ish due to her own past and concerns about getting involved with an 'employee'.

If I really had to put my finger on it it wasn't until the last few chapters that I felt things got wonky. I didn't like the fact that Alex got pinned down in an 'I'm a vampire and you have to listen to what I have to say' situation (not with Cale though - with someone else). How about you let her freak out as is her right and Cale has to come after her and do some of the work too? Those endings are infinitely more satisfying to me and I feel more true to way two people work out bumps in the relationship road. Also, the fact that Alex had to make a decision before leaving this familial home (again not Cale's) or she would leave with all memories of Cale AND her sisters wiped and she would in fact never see them again also irked. There was just irked feelings all around when it came to the ending.

Thinking back on it now, this book would appeal to someone who's involved with this series and the characters, but for me there isn't enough to entice me to read another. Which is a shame because I liked the romance itself but having any more of this 'decide now or be effectively banished' would probably drive me crazy. Alex and Cale are strong characters, neither of them willing to take a lot of crap (he's over 2,000 years old for f*ck's sake), and don't need busy bodies forcefully changing their actions. I wish I could just tell Sands to leave them alone and let them fight it out for themselves - I'm sure things would work out!

Overall Feeling - Eh.

Series - ...13) Bitten by Cupid 14) Born to Bite 15) Hungry for You