Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What Rocked My Socks This Year (I don't care when it was published)

Ok originally this was going to be some great post, similar in theme to some others my favorite bloggers have done, about the books I loved in 2010. But you know what? I'm started to go down my list and a lot of the books I loved and reread a million times over are not from 2010 - they're older.

I've decided I don't care.

I love these books and in 2010 they were either new to me or favorites that came back and reminded me why they were my favorites. Out of the 250+ books I read this year only a few made this list so really I don't feel too bad about it. This list could have been pages and PAGES long but instead I used self control and logic to work it down to these 18 books. Be grateful.

BWAHAHAHAH! I kid, I kid!

Well I don't kid on the the 'I don't care when they were published part' but you already knew that, didn't you?

So in no particular order, here are the books that Rocked My Socks This Year:


Blaze of Memory, Mine to Possess, and Bonds of Justice by Nalini Singh (Paranormal Romance)
I don't feel that anyone can really say enough about Nalini Singh. Her Psy-Changeling series is fantastic, and these are just some of the standouts for me. If you're not reading these there's really no excuse!


What a Dragon Should Know G.A. Aiken (Fantasy Romance)
This book is laugh out loud hilarious, with enough romance and action to keep even a HEA-junkie like me entertained. Loved it!

Queen by Sharon Sala (Contemporary Romance)
Contemporary romances are hard to get right. That special blend of emotion, dialogue, and plot is not the easiest to nail down, but this one by Sala is one of my favorites and while it's old I pulled it out time and again this year.


The Mane Squeeze and Beast Behaving Badly by Shelly Laurenston (Paranormal Romance)
Laurenston is probably the holder 'best paranormal romance' in my heart. They're always straight forward fun with kick ass heroines and steamy sex with unbelievably great Alpha Males. She always makes me wish I had one of my own!


An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire (Urban Fantasy)
McGuire really brings this series into its own with this book, filled with enough frights for anyone and emotion that touches you.


Lion's Heat by Lora Leigh (Paranormal Romance)
How could I not mention this book?! Readers have been waiting forever for Jonas's book and Leigh did not disappoint.


Changes by Jim Butcher (Sci-Fi/Fantasy)
Why Jim Butcher, why?! I'm on pins and needles waiting for Ghost Story because his books are just that good!


Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews (Urban Fantasy)
So. Freaking. Good. That's all that needs to be said.


Bullet Laurell K Hamilton (Paranormal Romance)
I loved that LKH brought Anita back to her kick ass police-esque roots in this one, along with her signature blood, sex, and  violence.



Roadkill by Rob Thurman (Urban Fantasy)
An outstanding example of Urban Fantasy. Rob Thurman has written an amazing cast of characters and since in each book the point of view moves around readers get to know all of them. Can't wait for the next one!


Cast in Chaos Michelle Sagara (Fantasy)
One of the very few pure fantasy series I read right now, Sagara has created a compelling world and characters you can't help wanting to know more about. 


Touched by an Alien and Alien Tango by Gini Koch (Sci-Fi)
The dark horse of the year! Koch's science fiction romances have popped up as favorites across the blogger board and for good reason. Her snappy dialogue and fast action are as good as any big screen movie.


bonk by Mary Roach (Non-Fiction) 
I was surprised by how much I learned from this book. And how much of what I learned I really didn't need to know. Grad students, I'm ashamed of you - taunting those monkey's with your fingers of sexual satisfaction. [[Shudder]]



Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Young Adult)
This book made me ashamed that I have no idea how to take care of myself in the event of an apocalyptic event.  It also made me cry. But it's a very powerful novel and as it takes place through diary entries yet still managed to catch my attention, it stands out even more for me.