Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Animal Attraction by Jill Shalvis

She’s tempting his basic instincts…

Sunshine, Idaho, is a quiet ranching town, a perfect place to give injured animals a refuge…or to find one. And veterinarian Dell Connelly suspects there’s a reason his clinic’s uber-efficient receptionist has taken shelter here.

Jade Bennett couldn’t be happier to escape her well-meaning but smothering family and their expectations, not to mention the big-city jungle. There’s nothing like working with injured animals, having a forlorn, grumpy stray kitten make its home under her desk…or enjoying the gorgeous views of her ruggedly sexy boss.

Jade is used to planning everything in her life, but Dell’s understanding has sparked an uncontrollable desire. And though Dell has never had time for love, Jade’s strength and sass is the kind of call no red-blooded male can resist…
~~

My first Jill Shalvis book and I have book blogs to thank! I'm not sure where I read the review at this point, but when I was wondering around B&N the other day (I had forgotten to bring ANY book with me to work) the name Shalvis jumped out at me.

I'm sure I've said before that I'm a sucker for a good contemporary and this one definitely fit the bill. The story reminded me a little of early Lori Foster, with a strong alpha male (with emotions) falling for a slightly broken but brave female. The focus is on characters of the story, with the town and supporting men and women just as important. Without backup either Jade or Dell could have made different decisions would, of course, be sad to me as a reader who's hoping for a happy ending!

On a more serious note I think the book also does a great job with Jade as a person. She's a woman who's had some hard knocks and that sucks but she's determined to rise above it. Yes it's a bit of cliche, the woman recovering from attack by taking self-defense lessons, but it's an important thing to show just the same, as violence against women is still such a huge issue.

Animal Attraction is a wonderful feel good, small town romance and I can't wait to get my hands on the first book in the series.

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - 1) Animal Magnetism 2) Animal Attraction