Monday, January 23, 2012

The Bride Wore Black Leather by Simon R Green

In the secret heart of London, under the cover of endless darkness, the Nightside caters to anyone with any unusual itch that needs to be scratched. But enter at your own risk. The party animals who live here may be as inhuman as their appetites...

My name is John Taylor. The Nightside is my home. I didn't plan it that way. In fact, I once tried to get away. But I came back. And now it seems I'm settling down, with a full-time job (in addition to my work as a very private eye) as Walker-the new Voice of the Authorities in the Nightside-and a wedding in the offing.

I'm marrying the love of my life, Suzie Shooter, the Nightside's most fearsome bounty-hunter. But nothing comes easy here. Not life. Not death. And for certain, not happily-ever-after. Before I can say "I do," I have one more case to solve as a private eye-and my first assignment as Walker.

Both jobs would be a lot easier to accomplish if I weren't on the run, from friends and enemies alike. And if my bride-to-be weren't out to collect the bounty on my head... 
~~

If you caught up with me on Facebook or Twitter this weekend you probably witnessed some pretty huge gushing going on for this book. To be completely honest I LOVES it and while I'm sad to see this series end, I can't think of a better way it could have gone out. 

The Bride Wore Black Leather is full of all the things that made The Nightside series so great - seemingly omnipotent villains, behind the scenes machinations, scary as hell rides through the dark under belly of society - all tossed in with some mystery and a dash of romance. I've been waiting for what felt like forever for John and Suzy to get their own version of HEA and even when things seemed their darkest I couldn't tell which way the book was going go. There are no actual cliffhangers but in the world that Green's created not everyone gets their happy ending; bad things happen to good (or just naive) people kind of often. Even here there were some points where I found myself tearing up because I just didn't know how John was going to pick himself from the mess he'd landed in.

Nothing's perfect and I wouldn't make claims that this book or series is, but I enjoyed the ride so much and my only wish is that there were more people around me who read them so I had someone to talk to!!!

Overall Feeling - A

Series - 10) The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny 11) A Hard Day's Knight 12) The Bride Wore Black Leather