Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lawe's Justice by Lora Leigh

Diane Broen's lived to protect her younger sister Rachel from harm. But now that Rachel has been mated off, Diane's occupied herself with less fulfilling tasks at the Genetics Council--until she's paired with a new team member, a Breed male notorious for his attitude, and a touch that makes her recoil.

Lawe isn't thrilled with her either. A lion at heart, he prefers a lair of solitude. When it comes to females, he'd rather snarl than purr. And while fate may have paired them to fight on the same team, neither is willing to admit to the obvious: the mating heat between them is positively incinerating.

It's only when danger threatens that they make a hotter-than-hell connection--one so explosive it could destroy them. Or, as providence reveals, bind them together, forever.
~~

If this was anyone but Lora Leigh - and specifically a book from her Breeds series - I would probably be giving it a lower grade. The book was good and had the high scorch content that she's known for, but I'm finally at the point where I actually don't care. I like her plot - I want to know what's going on with Jonas and Rachel's daughter - and I'm less interested in the back and forth between Diane and Lawe. I hate to say it but at some point I found myself flipping the pages past the sex scenes because I just wanted to know what happened next. 

But what aggravated me the most? Lawe himself. Half the time I didn't understand why Diane didn't just punch him. It's a delicate balance between protective alpha male and smothering alpha male, and while Lawe had some of his own demons to overcome I didn't always have the patience to deal with his journey. Maybe it's a fault with me, but I didn't want to see Diane kowtow to some invisible line of his, to some idea of what a 'good mate' should do and be. I can happily report that she doesn't, but Diane's emotional turmoil because she was a mate but not the kind of mate Lawe thought he wanted eventually becomes a bit much.

I'm still going to continue to buy the books from this series but all I want right now is some resolution. More plot development and forward movement please Ms. Leigh, and less sex. Even if you do write sex scenes very very well.

Overall Feeling - B-

Series - ....25) Tied With a Bow (anthology) 26) Lawe's Justice