Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Hard Day's Knight by Simon R. Green

John Taylor is a P.I. with a special talent for finding lost things in the dark and secret center of London known as the Nightside. He's also the reluctant owner of a very special-and dangerous-weapon. Excalibur, the legendary sword. To find out why he was chosen to wield it, John must consult the Last Defenders of Camelot, a group of knights who dwell in a place that some find more frightening than the Nightside.

London Proper. It's been years since John's been back-and there are good reasons for that.
~~

If I had to pick just one horror series and call it my favorite it would have to be this one. Green in his Nightside books has created a creepy terrifying world that for me is really without equal. Often I read a book for the romance, the HEA that I know is waiting for me. When I read Green I know I'm going to get characters that scare the crap out of me and buildups to scenes that will make me want to read them from behind a blanket.

The best part about Green is the fact that he can sustain this level of suspense. Yes John might 'win' in the end but the amount of death and destruction that comes before it, the good men and women that might suffer at his hands or others, doesn't make it a clean victory. A Hard Day's Knight has a lot of great action and some personal development between John and Suzy that seriously made me go 'holy shit'. It's a great thrill ride and I highly recommend it. 

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - ... 8) The Unnatural Inquirer 9) Just Another Judgement Day 10) The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny 11) A Hard Day's Knight