Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Surviving the Change by Cari Z

A shifter without a mate—a man who's afraid to trust. Time is against them and even love might not be enough to survive the change.

Dan Bailey is a loner, a shifter without a pack that no pack will accept unless he has a mate. He's only looking for work and a few beers with friends when he meets Blythe Kenner, and suddenly his priorities change.

Blythe doesn't trust anyone—especially shifters. All he wants to do is bide his time working behind the bar while getting his law degree. That is until Dan walks in and makes it his sole vocation to get under Blythe's skin...and his covers. Blythe never counted on having a shifter as a lover, and complicated doesn't begin to describe how he feels.

Dan knows how he feels and he's not going to let Blythe go without a fight. But time is running out. A rival pack isn't happy with Dan's living arrangements, and if Dan can't win Blythe's trust soon, their very lives will be at stake.
~~

I first heard about this ebook from Erotic Horizon's blog where she featured it on one of her excerpt days - and I'm so glad I saw it! For me M/M erotica is something I don't get to enjoy all that often. I'm really picky about them, about how the characters interact, how the sex is written, etc., so that I don't read them that often. I think it's one of those things where some M/M is written with with gay men in mind and others for women - at least that seems to make sense it my head as I often detect two distinct types whenever I branch out to new authors.

I really enjoyed this one. I think that Blythe and Dan's relationship felt very real to me. As much as Dan was immediately attracted to Blythe there wasn't the immediate hookup. Blythe has some legitimate past baggage and drama that make it very hard for him to commit to anyone - especially a shifter. Dan's a character that's used to playing the field and getting what he wants almost immediately; Blythe's persistence in resisting him is intriguing and initially one of the triggers that makes him come back for more. 

And yes the sex is hot there's no way around that. There's a trade off of who's top and who's bottom because of each man's personalities - and it changes depending on the day, feelings, and circumstances of each of them. Again I thought it worked well when taken into consideration with Dan and Blythe's personalities. And since they and their emotions came across as more real the sex between them was all the hotter. Plus Dan's  a shapeshifter. I don't think there's been a shapeshifter erotica yet where the sex hasn't been spark filled and very spicy (caveat: this of course assumes that I liked the story as a whole anyway).Highly

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - None

Edit - I almost forgot! Browsing around this morning I saw that February is going to be M/M Romance Month at Book Addict! I'm sure it's going to be great so don't miss out!