Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Dragon Who Loved Me by G.A. Aiken

I was raised for battle. And as the first daughter of a warrior family, I’ve earned my reputation the hard way. Yet now I fight alongside uncivilized male Northland dragons who think a female is only good for breeding and waiting back home in the cave. But it’s the foolish and foolhardy who would try to stop me, Rhona the Fearless, from doing what I do best—destroying the enemies of my kind.

So the smartest thing wily barbarian Vigholf the Abhorrent can do for me is stay out of my way as we risk all on a deadly mission in enemy territory. I don’t care if he’s fascinated by me, even though he is as attractive as he is resourceful. He’s having far too much fun putting me in difficult situations and testing my sense of duty to the limit. And I’m going to enjoy challenging his insufferable confidence, outwitting his schemes, and making him surrender in the wildest ways… 
~~

I'm almost a little sad to see this series grow up! So much happened in this book, a lot of it a continuation from Last Dragon Standing (which I probably should have reread because I had NO idea why there was a war going on o_O) and I think it shows just how much longevity this series has. I was a little worried - though I don't know why - if I would like the books as much once we got away from Fearghus and the rest of his clan. I just loved their antics so much I didn't know if I could love other characters as much. Happily Rhona and Vigholf demonstrated that my devotion to Shelly Laurenston is not unfounded, as these two were just as ridiculous and fun to read about as usual. Though with more violence and bloodshed than I'm really used to reading. 

There's 5 year gap between book 4 and The Dragon Who Loved Me, with all the main men and women we've met before spread out with their own legions of fighters, trying to defend dragon and human alike from the Iron dragons and their greedy god. When Annwyl goes off on a seemingly suicidal mission to get help Rhona gets suckered in to bringing her back and of course Vigholf can't let her go off by herself now can he?! Hilarity ensues, and  if you haven't already started reading this fantastic series I will again remind you that you are missing out!

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - 1) Dragon Actually 2) About a Dragon 3) What a Dragon Should Know 4) Last Dragon Standing 5) The Dragon Who Loved Me