Saturday, February 12, 2011

Rode Hard, Put Up Wet by Lorelei James

Struggling stock contractor Gemma Jansen swallows her pride and tracks down circuit rider Cash Big Crow to offer him a job managing her ranch. Cash agrees on one condition: theirs won’t be strictly a working relationship. She’s the boss during the day, but once she’s corralled in the bedroom, Cash calls the shots. Despite concerns about their age difference, Gemma consents.

Cash suspects the sexy widow hides an untapped wild streak. He intends to loosen her tightly held reins of control—even if he has to break out his horsewhip to do it.

But Cash is in for a surprise. Gemma proves a rough and ready participant in any leather-n-lace game Cash dreams up.

Between riding herd on his wayward daughter, Macie, and rowdy cowboy Carter McKay doggin' Macie’s every boot step, Cash struggles to hide his true feelings for Gemma except this time, Gemma’s grabbed the bull by the horns and she’s playing for keeps.

Summer’s going to be a hot one at the Bar 9.
~~

In case you skipped to the end of my post, let me do a quick summary of my overall feeling - I call this one an eh because while it was good I never felt really excited about it. I picked up this ebook not so much because it called to me the most, but because as part of the Lorelei James reviews that I'd been reading it had gotten tons of positive reviews.

Sometimes I gotta trust my gut more.

None of this is to downplay what's good in the book. Great sex scenes, interesting world environment - the ranch and the whole cowboy thing didn't feel forced at all. I just didn't fall in love with the characters or either of the couples. I'm not sure what it was. Objectively this book is right up my alley; in fact I even like the whole 'lust/love at first sight' thing that you have between Macie and Carter.

I don't know people, sorry to write up an unsatisfying-ly unspecific review, but this one was only ok for me. I'd read the review at Fiction Vixen for a different opinion since she loved this one a lot :)

But on the positive side I REALLY loved Raising Kane so look for a review of that title next week!

Overall Feeling - Eh.

Series - ...7) Shoudla Been a Cowboy 8) All Jacked Up 9) Raising Kane