Wednesday, June 8, 2011

One Night, Two Heirs by Maureen Child

Duty is his world. And upon seeing Sadie Price with twin girls, marine Rick Pruitt realizes he has some proposing to do. He never would have left Royal, Texas, if he'd known Sadie was carrying his babies.

Yet the feisty single mom has no intention of agreeing to a loveless marriage. True, she and Rick share a bond, as well as undeniable passion. But Sadie believes vows should last a lifetime, not be declared out of obligation. Making it Rick's new mission to change her mind…
~~
**I requested this title for review from NetGalley**

Once upon a time I really enjoyed series romances. Maybe the Presents line wasn't my favorite, but Silhouette Desire often had some good stuff and Maureen Child has definitely reminded me why I used to like them so much. In One Night, Two Heirs she's written a heartwarming story starring two real characters. This isn't a soap opera, the man isn't an ass, the whole world isn't out to get them - it's two people trying to create a life for themselves.

Amazing right?

The plot is pretty clear from the back summary but I don't think it manages to capture the charm. Rick and Sadie don't come together in an immediate happy ending, but neither does Rick spend 90% of the book 'punishing' her for not telling him that she was pregnant. Instead they both have to work through their insecurities and fears to try and find a middle ground. One where they feel safe to love each other and commit to their new family. I kind of found the whole thing refreshing.

Plus, as the beginning of a new chapter in the history of the Texas Cattleman's Club readers are introduced to a lot of new characters who I'll be excited to read about later. Though I have to admit I'm little worried since later installments aren't going to be written only by Child. I guess we'll just have to see what happens but I definitely recommend you pick this up because as a quick read (for the beach or not) it's pretty great!

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - 1) One Night, Two Heirs (July 2011) 2) The Rebel Tycoon Returns (TBA)