Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called Volume 1

Mercy Thompson inhabits two worlds without truly belonging to either. To the human inhabitants of the Tri-Cities she's an oddity, a female mechanic operating her own garage. To the town's darker residents, werewolves, vampires, and fae, she's a walker, a last-of-her-kind magical being with the power to become a coyote. Mercy warily straddles the fine line dividing our everyday world from that darker dimension... 'till a boy, mauled by vicious werewolves and forever changed by the attack and on the run from those who committed the crime, appears at her door. Now her two worlds are about to collide!

Outnumbered and out-muscled, can Mercy possibly save the boy... or even herself?
~~

I don't think I'm meant for to read comic versions of books I've already loved. I'm the kind of reader that takes the time to mold the author's words into a vision in my head, and with that I have my own thoughts about what the character should look like. There's good and bad to that, but this is a perfect example of the bad because the art here just didn't live up to my own personal movie.

The characters look stilted and childish, with not enough of the depth that made them so compelling when in written form. The rapid movements of Mercy as a coyote or the werewolves translated into them looking like they were flying - actually flying - on the page, which was humorous and not exciting at all. Since the words were Briggs' I don't have a lot of complaints and the placement of the thought and speech bubbles weren't bad to tell the story to new readers. I just couldn't get over the artwork and after about 60 pages I realized that this one had no where to go but down.

If you're a new comer to the Mercy series, just buy the books. They're worth it in the long run and the soul of what makes the story and writing so great shines through, without any bad drawing to distract you. (Plus Adam is much hotter than this comic makes out. MUCH hotter.)

Overall Feeling - DNF. Thumbs down.

Series - Mercy Thompson Moon Called: Volume 1, Volume 2, & Volume 3

**I requested this title for review from NetGalley**