Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Trace of Fever by Lori Foster

Undercover mercenary Trace Rivers loves the adrenaline rush of a well-planned mission. First he’ll earn the trust of corrupt businessman Murray Coburn, then gather the proof he needs to shut down the man’s dirty smuggling operation. It’s a perfect scheme—until Coburn’s long-lost daughter saunters in with her own deadly plan for revenge.

With a smile like an angel and fire in her eyes, Priscilla Patterson isn’t who she seems to be. But neither is the gorgeous bodyguard who ignites all her senses. Joining forces to plot Coburn’s downfall, Priss and Trace must fight the undeniable heat between them. For one wrong move, one lingering embrace, will expose them to the wrath of a merciless opponent...
~~
**I requested this title for review from NetGalley**

I know I reviewed the first book in this series not too long ago, but I feel like you guys would want to know when an author is still keeping things fun and interesting :)

Alpha male military series can be tricky, keeping the hero strong but writing a heroine that's his equal. Not as easy as it sounds really. In this particular book what keeps things interesting is just how ready for anything Priss is. She's introduced as this strong, knowledgeable character that's not going to take Trace's crap. She'll listen to him when he's saying something intelligent, but she's just as committed to make sure her own goals remain in sight.

I also liked how in this book Foster has depicted a further chunk of Trace's life that makes sense. After what happened concerning his sister in the Edge of Honor book, it makes sense that he wouldn't be able to let that go. He's too much of a protector to let the fact he couldn't help his sister go. Aligning himself in the battle against human slavery and forced prostitution allowed him the opportunity to work for a cause he believed in and help some of the weakest part of humanity.

The only part I'd have to say I didn't love as much was just how 'innocent and wide eyed but ready to go in the bedroom' Priss was. I can't say it didn't ring true with her background, it did, it just irked me. I guess I had seen Trace with a take charge woman in all ways and while Priss wasn't a wilting flower in the bedroom, it just seemed off. In my opinion Foster has written better virginal characters, and .....ugh. Sorry. I'm not sure how to explain what bugged me about it, but it just wasn't my favorite. If you're concerned about the spice level of the love scenes though don't be, because they're great as usual and Foster doesn't skimp on the electricity between these two.

All in all it's another fun book, filled with action though not as much suspense. I'm definitely looking forward to reading how things conclude in Savor the Danger.

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up.

Series - 1) When you Dare 2) Trace of Fever 3) Savor the Danger (6/28/2011)