Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Royal Treatment by MaryJanice Davidson

In a world nearly identical to ours, the North won the Civil War, Ben Affleck is the sexiest man alive, and Russia never sold Alaska to the U.S. Instead, Alaska is a rough, beautiful country ruled by a famously eccentric royal family, and urgently in need of a bride for the Crown Prince. But they have no idea what they're in for when they offer the job to a feisty commoner. . .a girl who's going to need. . .

The Royal Treatment

The Princess-To-Be Primer,

Or, Things I've Learned Really Quick, As Compiled by Her Future Royal Highness--Yeah, Whatever--Christina. That's me.

1. Telling jokes you picked up from the guys on the fishing boat doesn't go over really well at a fancy ball.

2. Must learn to curtsy, stifle burps, and tell the difference between a salad fork and a fruit knife.

3. Must not keep thinking about Prince David's amazing eyes, lips, hands, shoulders, uh. . .wait, can I start over?

4. Becoming a princess is a lot harder than it looks.

5. Falling in love is a whole lot easier. . .

This was one of my first few rereads of 2010, and a perfect example of MaryJanice Davidson at her best. When I first started reading her Betsey vampire series I was just blown away by her light hearted writing and how funny being turned into a vampire could be, if put in the hands of someone who's willing to see it that way. But as she kept going the books got less enjoyable and it just seemed very contriving - I'm not lying when I say it broke my heart a little. Still I was willing to give The Royal Treatment a try and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it harkened back to the beginning of the 'Undead' books and it was a great romantic comedy! Christina is completely without pause when she meets up with the royal family of Alaska and hers and David's romance is unique to say the very least. Filled with laugh out loud scenes, candy, and 'sharp as shurikan' psychologists, I'd definitely recommend that you pick this up!

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up. The rest of the series has it's ups and downs, but this is a great beginning and very enjoyable as a stand alone.

Series - 1) The Royal Treatment 2) The Royal Pain 3) The Royal Mess