Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Burning Up by Nalini Singh, Angela Knight, Virginia Kantra, & Meljean Brook

Bring these four authors together and it's sure to ignite a spark...

Angela Knight pairs a vampire warrior and his seductive captor in a battle against demonic predators.

Nalini Singh returns to the world of her Psy-Changeling series as a woman in lethal danger finds an unlikely protector-and lover.

Virginia Kantra continues the haunting tales of the Children of the Sea in her story of a wounded soldier rescued by an enigmatic young woman.

Meljean Brook launches a bold new steampunk series about a woman who strikes a provocative-and terrifying-bargain for freedom.
~~

This book is a prime example of why I rarely like anthologies. Somehow it always turns out that they're not really worth my money. Now don't get me wrong, I loved Nalini Singh's story. It had all the fun heat and emotion that her Changeling relationships have. 
I unfortunately can't say the same for the rest of the stories.

Knight's story gave off this awkward forced-seduction-kinda-rape-but-I-love-you vibe, and that didn't turn out well in my opinion. Maybe if there had been a bit more of the story, more time for the characters to go from sex to love it would have been a bit believable. Instead it all seemed to rapid fire and I never quite got over how the two first come together. Kantra's addition still suffered from too few pages, with her characters coming off a little flat, though I liked more the more rarely seen relationship between a selkie-like shapechanger and a human male. 

Meljean Brook had the second best story in the anthology. I thought the background of the two characters was more thorough and the emotions more real. My problems were more with the execution of the story and a feeling of indignation on behalf of the heroine when she's stuck in situations due to other people's manipulation and reluctance to give her the whole story - but that would bug me no matter the author. At least from this story I was able to figure out that probably no matter the author I'm not going to be a big steampunk fan (except when it comes to the fashion of course).

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up for Singh, thumbs down for the rest.

Series - Singh's is part of her Psy-Changeling books (a prequel) but the others I don't know well enough to say