Sunday, February 28, 2010

Musing Mondays (3/1)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about story format.

How do you feel about books written in a differing format – whether this be journals or letters (epistolary), verse novels, or any other form? Is this something you enjoy? Or do you prefer straight forward chapter prose.

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

In general I'd have to say that I prefer a book to be written in the usual first or third person format. My experience has shown me that it is a very rare author that can write a book through journal or letters and make me feel like I'm still a part of the story. Somehow the forced format of a journal entry is just distracting and I never feel like I'm getting the whole story.

Tamora Pierce did a good job of the journal style with Terrier, but then another one of my favorite authors - Stephanie Laurens - disappointed me with the beginning of the chapter journal entries in The Elusive Bride.

I guess then for me there's no clear cut 'this is what I like' and instead I have to base it individually on an author's ability to handle the medium.