Monday, February 8, 2010

Musing Mondays

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a random book.

I’ve seen several bloggers mention reading multiple books this week. Do you frequently read more than one book at a time? Do you try to limit this to a certain number? Do you have different books for different purposes/topics?

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

I found this a very interesting topic, mostly because I just can't understand reading more than one book at a time. Usually I am involved with one book exclusively - those characters and that world are all that matter. I can admit though that this is probably due more to the fact that most of the books I read are fiction, than an inability on my part to read more than one at a time. Just as I wouldn't like watching two movies or once, or flipping through too many channels on the TV, I prefer to concentrate on one story at a time.

But there are a couple instances where I could see adding in other periphery choices to my main reading: 1) If my first choice turns out to be so uninteresting that I have to try something else or I'll never go back to it, 2) If there's a non-fiction choice that I can use as more of a coffee table book. I've come across books with unconnected chapters about historic figures, fashion, or makeup that I can really enjoy but can't read all in one sitting. When that happens I like reading a chapter of non-fiction right before I go to bed or on my lunch breaks; it's just something to break up whatever I've got my mind on.

Either way, I think it's a better person than me that can keep track of two authors (minimum) at once!