Monday, February 15, 2010

Musing Mondays (2/15)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a reference material.

Do you keep reference books on your shelves at home? What’s your first port of call when you need information – the internet or a book?

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

I don't know how people existed before Google and Wikipedia. I fully admit that people shouldn't ONLY use internet resources when they need information, but for a quick fix? I couldn't live without the little Google search box in the upper right hand corner of my Firefox screen.

In fact, Google is so integrated into my searching mindset that I'm not sure how competitors are going to work to dislodge that; take Bing for example. Microsoft has spent all this money on really cool commercials and ads, all just to move people from Google (and to a smaller extent Yahoo) to Bing. But I just don't see that working because people are creatures of habit and the ease of Google has pretty much got an uncontested hold on their minds. Anybody not get inundated with articles after Google started making noises about leaving China?

But I think that's an interesting twist to this topic - do you like to use one search engine over another? Or do you try to search for information using a few different platforms, to make sure that you cover all your bases?