Sunday, March 28, 2010

Musing Mondays (3/29)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about multitasking.

Do you – or are you even able – to do other things while you read? Do you knit, hold a conversation, keep an eye on the TV? Anything?

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

I would say that I try to do other things while I read. One of my favorites would be 'watching' Nightmare Before Christmas while I read, but I'm not sure it can be truly classified as reading. I'm not actively engaging with that storyline, just looking up from time to time and enjoying the music. My attention is more focused on the book and that world. I can't even imagine trying to knit! Just going beyond that lack of adequate hands, I'm no where near enough good enough at that activity to do it while reading. It's probably why I can only manage to do it for a few hours at a time when I'm in the groove to listen to new music. I have to look at my hands when I knit, so I'm not even really going to be watching TV and trying to do it.

But to get back to the topic at hand, I would say that the easiest thing to actually accomplish while reading is listening to music. Not singing along to music mind you, but listening to it and kind of just enjoying it as background noise. I think having that in the background actually helps me read for enjoyment better, which is why one of my best reading moments lately was just in the food court of the mall. I wasn't there with any friends, just returning something, and after gradbbing food I just sat there and finished up LKH Flirt; random I know, but it was a great way for me to finish the book.