Monday, March 8, 2010

Musing Mondays (3/8)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about dust jackets.

Do you prefer books with a dust jacket? What do you do with your dust jacket while reading? Leave it on or take it off? (Question courtesy of Kim from Page after Page)

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

No matter how pretty they are, I hate dust jackets. I like to keep my books as nice as possible and dust jackets get torn, worn, etc. at the drop of a hat and give me a headache no matter what I do. To try to alleviate this as much as possible I always take the jacket off if I'm leaving the house. Of course, inevitably, it sits somewhere collecting dust, gradually getting out of shape and just annoying the heck out of me.

The only time I probably liked dust jackets was in high school when I worked at the public library. I was able to bring my books in and (using their materials) cover up the jackets just like they do to make them long lasting. It appealed to my OCD soul to see the crisp plastic cover that I knew wasn't going to rip the first time I put the book in my purse. Alas, I no longer work there and so now I just have to deal with them - or figure out where the library bought those things and see if I can buy some on my own!