Friday, April 2, 2010

International Children's Book Day

"Since 1967, on or around Hans Christian Andersen's birthday, 2 April, International Children's Book Day (ICBD) is celebrated to inspire a love of reading and to call attention to children's books. "

When I was little there was nothing like a new book from my mom. Whether she got it from the store or picked it up from a friend - a new book was a new adventure, one that could take me anywhere. As I grew older, as she took myself and my siblings to the library more often, I was able to understand the incredible choices at my fingertips. Books were TV shows and movies I could experience at my leisure, worlds whose people and environments I could envision and make my own.

Because of where my love for reading started, I consider it incredibly important to continue inspiring that passion in children today. Books can be an unending source of delight and growth, but we have to be willing to pass on that knowledge. So,

TAKE TODAY TO INSPIRE A CHILD - GIVE THEM A BOOK!