Monday, April 19, 2010

Musing Mondays (4/19)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about the 'best books'.

Last week I had you all to suggest your top 5 books – and I was surprised by just how different all your choices were! There’s no real question this week, except to look over the list and consider it. Do you agree with the choices? Is it more worth of a “Best Book” title?

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

I think what I take from this list is the most is how obviously hard it is to make a consistent 'best books' list. It's kind of why I went off on a tangent last week about the qualities I consider necessary to a good book (instead of really picking 5 books). The list is incredibly diverse, and even among the titles that got more than one vote I think I'd only really agree with one of them - To Kill a Mockingbird (though remembering that book makes me wish I'd mentioned Inherit the Wind last week. I LOVE that play).

In the end it's not going to matter who deems themselves worthy enoughto create a list of 'best' books. It's always going to be subjective and open to challenge, hahaha, which is part of why people bother creating them in my opinion! If people aren't willing to be vocal in support or against a particular choice then why do we bother? I think those kinds of lists are a great way to find new titles and new authors, which is never a bad thing - and for someone who reads faster that she'd like, it's definitely appreciated.