Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Torturous Tuesday - An unsatisfying addition to my ERR Challenge

Thumbs down: the characters were strange, the 'teachings' that Justice got from her sisters seemed really out of place - free book or not, I didn't even finish this one.





Thumbs down: The fact that as her bodyguard Aiden has to 'obey' Kate and that people think it's weird that he hasn't slept with her (he says that he thought he had 'failed' at his job) just doesn't compute. I finished this short story, which makes it better I guess, but I just don't think I like the author's style all that much.



Thumbs down again: The storyline definitely had potential, but the dialogue felt forced and slightly out of place with the story. I don't know, I just need any sex talk to feel more organic than what was written here (maybe not so corny?).




Eh: This one doesn't get a full thumbs down because Lark is at least smart enough to question the ridiculousness of a dragon who after swooping down to rescue an 'oh so rare' virgin immediately declares her his mate. Oy vay.

“Will you stay? Will you be mine? Willingly?”
“You won’t hurt me?” Lark sat up, facing Rajah, staring him squarely in the eyes. “You swear?”
“On my honor as a warrior of the dragons of Chrystal Isle, I swear to protect you and love you for the rest of your days.”
“Love?” she questioned doubtfully. “Isn’t it sort of fast to declare love?”

--pg 10, Larkspur by Anny Cook