Monday, July 12, 2010

Musing Mondays (7/12)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about distractions.

Can you read amidst distractions? (tv, others talking, sporting events, etc)

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog).
Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading

I actually LOVE reading amidst distractions. If it's too quiet I feel confined almost by my activity. I like reading in my living room in front of the TV, on the bus/metro heading to work - it can be anywhere if I have my iPod.

In fact I remember distinctly that with the last Laurell K. Hamilton novella, Flirt, I sat in the food court at the mall to finish it. I had been reading it at home, but after I finished shopping I felt this irresistible urge to grab a drink and a seat in the FC and continue reading. This is a pretty typical example of how reading can go for me.

I think it all has to do with my love of libraries and books and people. My love of books has always been wrapped up in my love of people, in the chance to talk with people about what I'm reading now and what I could be reading next. If I only read by myself without any sound or distraction around me it's much less likely that when I wanted to talk to someone about a part of a book that there'd be anyone there to accommodate my crazy!