Monday, July 19, 2010

Musing Mondays (7/19)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about what your books say about you.

What does your bookshelf (or, what do your bookshelves) say about you to the people who come into your home?

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog).
Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading

My books probably say three main things about me:

1) I'm a hopeless romantic
2) I like vampire and werewolves WAAAY too much, and
3) I'm weirdly interesting in Japanese manga and pop culture

The first point I'd probably have to live up to because it is true that probably 85% of what I have on my shelf are romance books with HEA's. It started in middle school, maintained through highschool, and didn't go anywhere during college, so why put the breaks on it now? I like a happy ending. I like rough sex (mostly) and fast action that culminates in an emotional reunion. Sue me. (Though of course I like sweet romances almost as much as the bumpy ones, because it's very calming to know right from the beginning that everything's going to work out).

The vampire and werewolves thing is just a factor of me have loved paranormal fantasies for a long time (most of my life really). What I am happy to report is that it will NOT show that I love Twilight because it's not on my shelf! HAPPY DANCE! I have much higher caliber vampire smut, like Robin McKinley, L.J. Smith, or Laurell K Hamilton. If people could actually see what I've purchased as e-book they might not be as confident in my tastes but luckily that list is ALL MINE.

I haven't bought as much of it lately, but I think manga and Japanese pop culture definitely deserves a shout out when considering what's on my shelves. I minored in it college, started taking the language in high school, and spent a lot of middle school watching Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo!. Thus when I graduated from college I couldn't part with all the random non-fiction titles on globalization through cartoons or Takarazuka theater. I feel like if I opened a library from what I own now, any non-fiction section would be overwhelmed by Japanese culture essays, poetry, and some environment/global warming text books. The left over pieces of a $41K a year college education.