Friday, June 25, 2010

Consent to the Cowboy by Abby Wood (ARC Review)

Surrounded by beer-swilling, skirt-chasing cowboys her whole life, barmaid Daphne Norris has no intention of ever settling for any of the men in her Podunk hometown. So when bronc rider Will Hanson sends shock waves to her core with just one glance from his striking green eyes, no one is more surprised than her.

But Will is no ordinary cowboy, and he can see that Daphne is no ordinary small-town girl. He can sense in Daphne the quiet strength and devotion needed to satisfy a man like him, a man who needs to be on top, in every aspect of his life.

Daphne hasn’t ever succumbed to her submissive desires before, and Will awakens her in ways she never imagined. While she’s not prepared to give him her heart, she agrees to Will’s offer of three days of intense pleasure, and then she’s walking. But Daphne falls hard and fast, and now she has a decision: return to a normal life, or give up everything for Will…

*I requested a copy of this title to review through netGalley*

I think what sticks out about this particular erotica that is a story depicting a lifestyle choice of two people who have been very hurt in the past. Will and Daphne are emotionally scarred characters and within each other they find the pieces they need to be complete. Wood does a very good job at writing a BDSM erotica that while has a lot of explicit, sexy scenes, takes the additional step to illuminate what makes the characters tick. By the end of this ebook I felt I knew why Will functioned and felt best in a dominance/submissive relationship - and the same goes for Daphne. I'll often read a book that depicts the more recreational activities of couples that might experiment in a little spanking, but rarely do I feel like I really get the chance to understand, from each character's point of view, why they like what they like.

The one criticism I have for this particular title is that I feel like Wood reached a bit with some other plot points, I assume to stretch her erotica a little farther with some suspense. There just wasn't enough time and energy spent on Will's father and his efforts to block Will's business deals to make me feel like a needed part of the story. It was just there and gone, and ultimately I think the ebook would have been better without it.

I definitely recommend this to those who like erotica featuring BDSM lifestyles, but prepare yourself for some adventurous sex- there's a particular scene in a club (that includes bringing in some other players) that springs to mind....

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up. It's not quite my cup of tea, but it's very well written and the reader gets a great look at the mentality of both Will and Daphne.

Series - None