Monday, June 28, 2010

Musing Mondays (6/28)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about hyped books.

What do you think of books that receive a lot of hype? (think of the “Twilight” saga, or “Harry Potter”, or “The Da Vinci Code”). Do you read them? Why, or why not?

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog).
Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading

When certain books get way more than necessary hype about how good it is, I actually get less excited about reading it. I've found that whenever something gets to a particular level of out of control 'greatness' it usual ends up that the thing in question is of average quality - if it's good at all. Take for example Twilight - this book got tons of hype, which made me hesitant to read it, and when I did get around to it I found it to be average/below average in quality! I even love this genre and couldn't find it any more palatable than that.

I'd just prefer for a book to have a good amount of publicity without being splashed everywhere possible. It creates unrealistic expectations and for someone like me prefers to make her own (but still informed choices) I think some of this money could have been better spent creating a more eye-catching cover.