Monday, June 28, 2010

Dark Melody by Christine Feehan

Lead guitarist of the Dark Troubadours, Dayan was renowned for his mesmerizing performances. His melodies stilled crowds, beckoned, seduced, tempted. And always, he called to her. His lover. His lifemate. He called to her to complete him. To give him the emotions that had faded from his existence, leaving him an empty shell of growing darkness. Save me. Come to me.

Corinne Wentworth stood at the vortex of a gathering storm. Pursued by the same fanatics who'd murdered her husband, she was risking her life by keeping more than one secret. Fragile, delicate, vulnerable, she had an indomitable faith that made her fiery surrender to Dayan all the more powerful. This was the one woman whose loss would destroy him, even as her love promised to heal his soul.

Dark Melody is one of my favorites in Feehan's
Dark Series because of the uniqueness of her heroine and the way she conveys the emotions that Corrinne and Dayan experience coming together. It's #12 in the series (a series that's at 20 and counting) so it shouldn't surprise anyone if I say that there was a time when I was a little worried about where Feehan was going with this series (it was getting a little formulaic). Don't get me wrong, I love the 'brooding man looking for his light' plotline as much as the next paranormal junkie, but I was feeling like if I'd read one book I might as well have read them all.

Luckily that wasn't the case!

Feehan got her second wind and while still publishing books at the same fast pace, I felt like the characters were more unique and memorable as individuals - which is fantastic! I love how she comes back around to men we've already met while at the same time introducing us to women who are good for them. She rarely missteps when combining 'destined soul mate' with 'woman who has her own opinions and isn't going to let bygones be bygones'.

Definitely start from the beginning with these books, you're going to be confused as HELL if you don't, but go pick up this series! Paranormal romance wouldn't be the powerhouse it is today without Christine Feehan.

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up! I love this series, and while it's had some ups and downs in terms of originality, this is where it starts picking up again and it makes you cheer once more for the Carpathians!

Series - .....15) Dark Secret 16) Dark Demon 17) Dark Celebration 18) Dark Possession 19) Dark Curse 20) Dark Slayer