Monday, May 17, 2010

Musing Mondays (5/17)

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about movies based on books.

What happens when you see a movie based on a book/story, especially one you’ve not read? Do you feel the need to track it down and read it?

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks.
Thanks!

**MUSING MONDAYS is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...

If I see a movie based on a book I haven't read I probably wouldn't bother tracking down the book after the fact. This is mostly due to the reality that most of the time a book is significantly better than its movie counterpart- and reminding myself of that fact just makes the movie worse. It's for this same reason that I will rarely see a movie of a book I've already read. Blood and Chocolate, Eragon, Bridge to Terabithia - all books that were recently made into movies that I didn't even bother wasting my time on. These books were incredibly well done and I could tell right from the previews that the movies were not going to measure up. I think the only reason I could enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy as much as I did is the fact that I hadn't read the books. The movies stood on their own as incredible cinema productions and I didn't worry about how they held up in comparison to the books.

I don't really see my opinion changing in the near future either. Movies are getting less and less original, while reproductions of books are not seeing any significant improvements in quality (I don't count Twilight - the book was bad and the movie was worse). I think the only way I'll survive is through the 'ignorance is bliss' route, because in the case of movies based on books? Ignorance really is bliss.