Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays (5/25)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
*
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

**I am again flagrantly posting what is really an excerpt in complete disregard for the rules of a teaser. I know, and I'm not sorry. Ok, maybe just a little sorry. **

"Swallowing back her tears, "We both know this" - she pointed to the parchment in his [Gwenvael's] hand- "is, excuse my father's term, elk shit. We both know he doesn't simply want me to convince you to take me to the Southlands just to get this ridiculous letter into the Dragon Queen's hands."

"So?"

"Which means he really wants me there for another reason. Once I'm there, he'll want me to do something to benefit him."

"Probably true...so?"

"And normally, I would jump at the chance. To travel into the Southlands. To meet Queen Annwyl and bargain for a much better deal than I got with
you."

"That was an excellent deal."

"Normally, I'd lie and connive and do whatever necessary to make you take me into the south."

"But..."

More tears began to flow. "But that thing..."

"Thing? What thing?"

"That thing...in one's head...that tells you when something would be wrong to do. It won't let me do it."

Feeling a sudden high level of annoyance, Gwenvael carefully asked, "Do you mean your...conscience?"

Her tears turned into hysterical sobs, and she went down on her side, her head dropping into his lap.

"Dagmar! Everyone has a conscience."

"I don't!"

"Of course you do."

"I'm a politician, Gwenvael! Of course, I don't have a conscience. At least I didn't. Now I'm cursed with one. And it's your fault!"

Somehow he knew that last bit would happen."

--pg 194, What a Dragon Should Know by G.A. Aiken